About Bulletproof Clothing
The world has become a scary place over the past few years, with numerous shootings and scares. This is why it doesn’t come as a surprise that people are now starting to look for bulletproof clothing that can be worn in normal day to day activities. From a bulletproof vest to a bulletproof 3 piece suit, demand is on the rise.
America's Growing Demand for Bulletproof Clothing
In August 2017, Miguel Caballero took aim at Caroline, his own wife to show that the clothes she was wearing, would protect her from the bullet. Migues is a designer from Colombia known for his bulletproof clothing products performing the same test on over 230 volunteers since 1993 just to prove to everyone that his designs had protective power.
Caballero founded his company in his native country of Colombia in 1992, which at the time was brimming with cases of homicides due to gun violence spearheaded by the nation’s different conflicting factions. In those days, stepping outside one’s home was dangerous and incredibly frightening, which urged Caballero to design and manufacture bulletproof clothing to provide protection to the public and ease their fears.
Over two decades later, the homicide rate in Colombia has dramatically declined so Caballero then focused his attention to America, another country infamous for gun violence. In early 2017, he opened his first distribution center in Miami, Florida, with the goal of selling bulletproof clothing to those who needed that extra peace of mind.
However, Caballero is not the only designer who has seen the need for bulletproof suit and bulletproof jacket for the United States’ mass market. Based on the latest report, body armor has grown into an industry worth $465 million a year in the US alone. The international market for this kind of protective clothing has been forecasted to grow up to $5.7 billion in 2024.
How is Bulletproof Clothing Made?
There are several steps involved in the production of bulletproof clothing:
- Raw materials – To produce bulletproof clothing, makers start through producing filament, or fiber which is strong but lightweight. Kevlar is among the most popular materials produced through spinning solid thread from a liquid chemical blend. Dyneema is another fiber made from polyethylene base produced through a gel-spinning process which combines incredible softness and extreme strength
- Yarn production – Basic fiber’s large spools allow makers to weave individual fibers into yarn and cord. This yarn is a long and continuous interlocked fibers’ length ideal for use in sheet material and fabrics production.
- Sheet materials – Yarns are woven to a sheet material which can stop bullets. Sheet materials are used by bulletproof clothing companies to produce the actual bulletproof panels. Final ballistic sheet materials are often put on rolls of about 100 to 200 meter in length and resemble rolls of other textiles.
- Cutting – With the use of industrial cutting machines and large patterns, multiple ballistic material layers are cut simultaneously. Bulletproof clothing is composed of back and front panels of slightly different size and shape. The panels used in the bulletproof clothing consist of different layers of basic ballistic materials and an extensive testing is needed to determine the right ballistic material’s thickness. The final product’s thickness depends on what protection level the manufacturer is trying to acquire.
- Sewing panel – The right thickness of fabric layers depending on the needed level of protection are assembled to make the ballistic panel. The layers of Kevlar have to be stitched together to make panels.
- Cover – The sewn and cut layers of the ballistic materials have to be put into protective envelope. This cover or envelope can be sealed with heat to protect ballistic material inside against humidity and water. Sealed cover is a basic ballistic panel, which offers a bulletproof vest with some bullet resistant qualities.
- Carrier – Ballistic panels are fitted into a carrier that is specially designed. Ballistic carriers have pockets that ballistic panels may be inserted and made to hold panels in appropriate position on the body. Carriers including ballistic panels form the basic bullet resistant vest. Because of the panel dimensions can be determined easily, it is possible to add the panel pockets to an existing jacket or coat.
Why You Should Invest in Bulletproof Clothing?
You have to protect yourself always, yet there are some reasons that you have to consider investing in bulletproof clothing. Once you take time to protect yourself before anything happens in your life. These following will help you make a wise decision on how protected you can be:
- Handling Large Amounts of Money or Valuables - If your job will require you to transport funds or valuable items/products, bulletproof clothing is lightweight so you can move around easily while wearing it, yet ensures that even if someone threatens you at gunpoint and even fires, your chances of survival are dramatically increased.
- Dangerous Neighborhood - If you’re living in a dangerous neighborhood, you might be putting your life at risk every time you step out of your home. Somebody might attempt to rob you while you’re going to and from your car. It can be a good way to protect yourself and give yourself peace of mind without drastically altering your appearance.
- Working In High Crime Rate Areas - If you work in an area with high crime rates or even gang activity, you’ll want to give yourself the assurance that should an altercation occur with you or you happen to get caught in the middle of a situation, you will be able to safely get out without risk of bodily harm.
Browse Our Selection of Bulletproof Clothing Products
If you’re looking for the best quality bulletproof clothing products, Bulletproof Zone has a large variety of bulletproof clothing collections that are available at an affordable price. The only thing you need to do is to pick the one that best suits your needs or preferences. So, get one today and achieve the protection level you want!