Like body armor, the helmet is one of the oldest protective gear that goes back to the 23rd century BC. The versions that we have today are specifically designed to keep its users safe from gunshot rounds and fragmentation. Innovative designs aim to provide a high-performing and efficient solution for combative activities, including military and law enforcement operations. Unlike their ancestors, modern ballistic helmets have lighter yet sturdier materials, such as carbon fiber, Kevlar, and high-impact resistant plastic.
Nevertheless, whether you are on a high-risk mission abroad, a law enforcement officer in US lands, or for a tactical leisure activity, the helmet that you will pick must have the perfect fit. To have the ideal fit, you need to choose the best type with the correct helmet size. It will boost your performance and will also increase your safety.
Factors to Consider When Picking a Ballistic Helmet
When looking for a tactical helmet, it is critical to understand that what you purchase can protect you from harm. It should have undergone thorough testing and has a design that can meet the US military or NIJ standards.
Here are three top characteristics that you should consider when choosing your Tactical Helmet.
If your helmet sits too low on your head, the tendency to block your field of vision is high. It can impede your eyewear's effectiveness and might even be the cause of lowered agility in a combat field. Typically, shell head measurement comes in four sizes: small (S), medium (M), large (L), and extra-large (XL).
Here is the step-by-step guideline that you can follow to know what helmet size is perfect for you.
- Sit in an upright position.
- Have your comrade measure your head length. Let your comrade start in the middle of the brows to the back of your head. You can use a caliper (preferred) or a tape measure. Record the measurements.
- The next step is to determine the measurement of your head width. Do it by getting the widest length between the left and right side of the skull. Let your comrade position the caliper or tape measure just above your ears. Again, do not forget to record your measurements.
- Now, get your maximum head circumference and record the measurement. Remember that you are sitting in an upright position. It is best to take the measurement just above the bony brow ridges while passing the tape measure just above the ears.
- You can check with helmet brands on the best recommendation of helmet size based on your measurements,
If your tactical helmet sits too high, the risk of it being unstable is high. A loose-fit helmet can be a nuisance and can cause you annoyance than can lower your focus. Remember that a low focus can cause you harm or even your life on a battlefield. It means stability is a critical factor in choosing your tactical or Military Helmet.
The question is: How can you check if the fit is appropriate for you? Here are some indicators for you to take note of:
- Tactical helmets typically have a four-point chin strap/ belt. Tighten the belt and check if the helmet feels snug, but not too tight and not too loose.
- Check if the helmet’s crown pad reaches the top of your head.
- Look above using your eyes without tilting your head up. You should see the rim of your helmet. If you can see the inside of your helmet, the helmet might be too low and loose. If you can’t see the rim, the helmet might be too small for you that makes it sit too high on your head.
- Your tactical helmet must remain in place when you move your head from side to side or shake your head.
- Ask a comrade to assess if your helmet is stable. He should see that the front rim is approximately half an inch on top of the eyebrows.
The wearer should feel comfortable while using a ballistic helmet. A good one will not hamper your performance and can even boost its wearer’s protection and safety, especially during combat.
What To Look For When Buying A Ballistic Helmet?
Before you choose and purchase a ballistic helmet, you have to know and understand why there are various types of helmets and what you should look for when picking one. Here are some tips that you should keep in mind:
- Assess and check the protection level of the helmet. It should have undergone rigorous testing as per the NIJ standards.
- The tactical helmet that you will select must have padding, a suspension, and a harness system, which are the fundamental components of a protective helmet.
- The tactical helmet should be made of high-quality materials that make it sturdy and long-lasting.
Fortunately, Bulletproof Zone has a comprehensive guideline about everything you need to know in choosing a bulletproof helmet. Moreover, we have a network of reliable providers that you can check. Here are some, to name a few.
1. Protection Group Danmark: Protection Group Danmark ARCH Level IIIA bulletproof helmet is a high-cut type, allowing users to add communication gadgets, like headsets. It also has a provision in adding other accessories like an oxygen mask, camera, flashlight, and night vision gadgets. It is made of Aramid and weighs 1.15 kilos alone, which makes it one of the lightweight-typed helmets. This ballistic helmet carries an approval for V50 as per STANAG2920, which means that it follows the NATO standard for ballistic gears.
This bulletproof helmet has an added coating of Polyurea spray paint. It is to ensure additional protection from round pressure. The added paint layer also increases the strength of the helmet’s anti-bullet properties.
2. Legacy: Legacy MICH Level IIIA ballistic helmet is a light-weight gear with multiple layers. It can stop 0.357 FMJ FN rounds and even .44 Magnum SJHP shots.
3. Chase Tactical: Chase Tactical non-ballistic helmet is used as a mounting gear for the camera and low-profile lights. It is compatible with standard accessories, such as headsets and battery packs. It has a universal sizing, so it offers a four-point harness to ensure stability and comfort.
Always Protect Your Head
A tactical helmet is a safety gear that protects its user from fatal impacts on the head. However, take note that not all tactical helmets are ballistic or bulletproof. Some types, such as bump helmets, protect its user from blunt trauma, but not all can absorb the impact of gun fires. On the other hand, a military helmet is typically bulletproof as it is necessary for high-risk activities on the battlefield.
Ultimately, once you are to find your ballistic helmet, choose one that fits you perfectly. The first step is to know your head measurements, which will help you choose the correct helmet shell size. Then, assess for stability. Ensure that the helmet you choose is snug and has the appropriate coverage on your head. Finally, choose something that you are comfortable to use. Remember that these factors may affect your mobility and focus in your workplace, whether it be a battlefield or in the city's streets.
In addition to the factors above, make sure the helmet you have has the appropriate NIJ level depending on your work requirements. Also, choose high-quality materials for more extended use.
Why are these points essential in choosing your helmet? It is because accidents can happen in times when you least expect them to happen. Therefore, when speaking of safety and protection, you shouldn't take things for granted. Pick the suitable model and size for your head as it will ensure maximum safety and may just save your life today.You can check through Bulletproof Zone's helmet collection from various reliable brands. We have the best and safest in the market.